I don’t know either, people:
- I’ve been dating Kate Beaton for a long time
- I’m in bed, trying to get some sleep
- She bursts into the bedroom completely wasted, dragging my old coworker Paul with her
- They flop onto the bed with me and she slurs “LET’S HAVE A THREE-WAY”
- I’m not about it
- As I contemplate how little I’m into this notion, I suddenly realize I’m dreaming
- This is a really weird dream to have, I think to myself
- At this point the two of them are making out
- I ask “Would you two like some privacy?”
- That’s when the dream changes into something else, as dreams do, into a weird alternate ending to Breaking Bad that I didn’t finish and isn’t nearly as interesting
Does anyone have any idea where dreams come from? I choose to blame the Thanksgiving foodsplosion.
For those of you who like to fight the good fight for social justice and language sensitivity online, before writing that Tumblr missive or firing off that privilege-checking comment, I’d love to encourage you to take a moment to ask yourself these questions:
• Am I living my values with this exchange? If my goal is tolerance and sensitivity, am I embodying both those values in this conversation?
• What are my motivations here? Do I want to make a difference, or just feel like I’m right? What would “making a difference” look like in this context?
• Is this person an ally? How can I best communicate with them to ensure they stay that way?
• What is my ultimate goal in my activism? Is this exchange the best use of my time to achieve that ultimate goal?
In terms of my ultimate goal with this post: I want to support progressive activists in their very important work for social justice, but also beg them to carefully consider their methods and strategies with online communication. We’re fighting for the same team, here. I wish we didn’t have to spend so much time fighting with each other."
Please click through to read the entire thing.
I was just about to blog this exact passage. I’d love to know what “tumblr” thinks of this post.
EDIT: added scare quotes
I also suggest clicking through to read the entire thing. Some days I don’t know what to do about Social Justice Tumblr either.